False Beats

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Sun, 03 Sep 2000 12:52:21 -0700

Richard Brekne wrote:

> I am wondering if heating the hole so that
> the pin just fits in with an easy tap would be an idea ?? That way when the
> would cools down again it would expand around the pin and make a real tight
> fit ????

The assumption is that heating (i.e. drying) the wood will cause the holes to
enlarge.  I think this is true with respect to bridge pin holes and tuning pin
holes.  However, I have heard just the opposite with flange bushing holes.
Remember the Teflon bushing problem?  According to that interpretation, the
holes would enlarge with increased humidity but the Teflon wouldn't.  The
advantage of cloth was that it would also expand, and take up the enlarged
space (in fact usually more than the difference).

There are, however other possible interpretations of what is happening, which
is why I'm interested in opening it to debate.

Paul S. Larudee