Next size larger bridge pins

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sun, 03 Sep 2000 19:58:01 -0700

Simple.  Small size strings use smaller pins.  They have less of a distance to
travel around the pin and can fit better against the bridge.  They don't fit as
well around a larger pin and sometimes have a more difficult time making complete
bridge contact since the would tends to pucker a little around the pin.  Heavy
strings are larger in diameter and require a larger pin to hold the stresses.
Larger pins have more surface area and thus more contact area with the pin which
is more effecient for transmitting lower frequencies.  Further evidence?
Steinway, Yamaha, Kawai, Bosendorfer, Baldwin, Petrof, Bechstein, Young Chang, and
any other major manufacturer you can think of does it this way.  If it didn't
matter I hardly think they would spend the money.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV