help me with an insurance estimate?

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Mon, 04 Sep 2000 07:12:29 -0700

I hope to get some help, since I don't buy and sell
pianos, or work for a store, where I can see prices.

A piano was just willed to a small college near here,
and I got to go look at it. Now I need to tell them a
value for insurance and tax purposes.

It was lovely! Mason & Hamlin A, 1930, in pristine
condition. Soundboard and bridges looked perfect,
barely worn hammers and backchecks, good regulation,
perfect ivory, varnish not crazed, lyre and pedals
solid, etc. etc. etc. The sound was big and warm.
I pulled the action, and I think I was the first
person ever to get in there. Only dust and the pretty
action inside.

The piano came straight to Salem, Oregon when it was
new, and lived only there and in Eugene. The climate is
certainly benign.

Lucky college!

Anyway, I know that different parts of the country
might have different piano values, but I want to get some
idea of how much insurance this jewel should carry.

thanks .....

Susan Kline