Really old Broadwood

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 23:50:01 -0500

> I will be looking at an old Broadwood Square Grand . I am told its
> from early on in the 1800's
>
> I will not be taking on this job, just wanted to see it and help the
> customer decide whether or not to send it to be restored.
> By that I mean like things that might make this instrument valuable from
an
> historic point of view, peculararities in basic structure I should look
out
> for, or case work stuff that might be of particular interest.
>
> This is not my forte, so any help you can send along will be an aid to the
> fellow who owns this instrument.
>Richard Brekne

The closer to 1800 the more historical insterest in the old Broadwoods.
This means the museum folks might be interested.  In that case the more
original the more interest.  The trend, at least I gather from the Shrine to
Music, is more to conserve rather than to restore.   There they are thinking
that reproduction based on unrestored  speicimens is a better way to go.
You can visit their website to see what they have of Broadwoods and the
dates.
www.usd.edu/smm/index.html
---ric