accelerator bottle

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 05 Sep 2000 08:59:53 -0400

Have you read any instructions on any glue bottle that says
to leave dirt and grease on surfaces before applying?  The
accelerator has trichloroethelele as a primary ingredient
(read the bottle label) which is a highly toxic and highly
effective cleaning fluid.  It is a surface preparation
procedure that will remove any oils, contaminates, grease
and other such for a clean surface and a good glue joint.
It is not "necessary" but will prevent separation on such
objects and ivory to wood.  The bridge knocked apart very
likely had old glue remaining on the surfaces.  Hide glue
will disolve and reset old hide glue but CA will not do so,
the old glue only serves to weaken the joint.  CA penetrates
wood deeply and provides a bond of superior strength IF the
surfaces are prepared just like any other glue application.

CA is not a miriacle cure, it is a tool, like any other, and
will perform well if used properly and if it's limits and
other properties are taken into account.

		Newton (no expert but smart (occasionally))