Absolute pitch again.

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Tue, 05 Sep 2000 08:25:52 -0600

Hi Keith,

Add this to your records. I have a client whose piano as a child was tuned
about 65 cents flat--yet she has ambsolute pitch for an A-440 tuning. This
would certainly indicate to me that there is also a "genetic" version of
perfect pitch, as she would not have "learned" A440 from a flat piano.

I also have a client who has profound hearing loss (about 30% hearing, and
nothing at all above f6) who has perfect pitch. She is quite a good piano
instructor.

I have done limited testing of 4 persons with perfect pitch. All of them
"lost it" at about 33 cents flat or 33 cents *sharp* of A440. As the pitch
changed away from 440 each of them listened *harder* to the note before
identifying it.

At 08:27 AM 9/5/00 -0500, you wrote:
>>... on my machine they are all flat by 3-4 cps.
>>12 cents off is perfect?  But I wonder if someone with
>>really perfect pitch would recognize this?...    ---ric
>
>Wondering won't do it, Richard.  I have no doubt that some with
>absolute/perfect pitch would easily know the cents discrepancy you mention
>exists, while there would be some who would not, yet still would be able to
>identitify the correct note/tone.
>
>My position is that 12 cents off A440 doesn't negate the note/tone from
>being in the domain of A440.

Regards,
drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.htmlplanet.com/