Roller Size, again

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue, 05 Sep 2000 18:03:42 -0400

All this discussion on knuckle size prompted me to scrutinize a new set of
shanks.
2 sets actually. The discrepancy in height is surprising.

One set ranged from .632 to .660 with the majority in the .640 to .650 range.
The other set ranged from .610 to .640 with the majority in the .615 to
.625 range.

If I discarded the ones outside the .010 window there wouldn't be enough
shanks.

In light of the recent thread and the claim that a smaller roller will have
a lower
friction, how would grouping the height categories benefit the overall touch?

Is it knit-picking carried to extremes?

I first noticed the differences while weighing their Strike Weights.
Usually a set will
contain weights of 1.5 to 2 grams, with a goodly proportion for each .1g
incrementally.
But this first set weighed-in heavy, a few 1.5's to 1.8's a few more 1.9's
and a slew of 2's;
with a few 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3.  I'm probably reading 0.1g more due to my
measure point
along the shank, but still it is a hefty set.

I'll experiment with the different heights tomorrow to ascertain any
friction or Strike Weight
Ratio discrepancies. Some difference must be produced if the two extremes
were place
adjacent to each other, .030 in height is quite a bit.

The closer you look, the more there is,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net