broken plate

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 20:08:58 -0400

Hi everyone,

My former student called today to tell me that the plate broke on an older
Steinway B he is rebuilding.  I talked with him about it and I am positive
that he was doing things correctly.  I gave him Bob Beck's number in NJ and
Bob sez it can't be welded.  Bob is very familiar with these birds and said
that it is very common for S&S B's to break like this.  (I can't describe
the crack accurately.  It's in the webbing starting on the treble side of
the over-stringing break)

My student, Paul, just had a rebuilder do the soundboard, plate, pinblock
stuff.  Paul did the action work and the break happened when he was
chipping/tuning it.  (Again I do not know this rebuilder.  Supposed to have
a good reputation).  Either it just happened or the plate was installed
incorrectly.

So here's the question, who's gonna pay for it?  Paul has insurance so his
butt is covered.  I just wonder what experiences some of you have had with
this.  Do S&S B's break plates often?  (I've been tuning twenty years and
this is a first for me)  Should the rebuilder take responsibility?  Is Paul
in the hot seat?  What about the customer?  It belongs to a church and I
can imagine some very un-church-like language from them.  And finally,
would anyone like to buy a fourty thousand dollar dining room table?

I think in the end the church will end up with a new B courtesy of the
insurance company.  I am curious to hear your input though.

chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (740) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429