Tuning Time

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 20:55:37 -0400

I'm having trouble with spending too much time tuning bad pianos. When I
tune my piano or some other good quality/condition piano, I can do a two
pass tuning with touch-up in 1¼ to 1½ hours (I consider even a 30 year old
Yamaha vertical as a good piano - compared to most of the worn-out poor
quality things I tune). When I tune the typical 1932 Wurlitzer grand
(original condition) or the 1958 Lester spinet or, even better, the 1965
Aeolian spinet it commonly takes me two hours to make these things sound
less lousy than they did when I got there. I know you can only do so much
with old/worn-out/low quality pianos, but why can't I do a lousy job on
these in the same amount of time it takes me to do a good job on a decent
piano. I wouldn't worry about this much if 95%+ of the pianos I tune were
not of the old/worn-out/low quality type.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com