broken plate

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 16:03:27 -0400

>Chris,
>
>Can you be a bit more specific about the location of the break?  It might
>focus a lot of speculation.
>
>I've not yet encountered a B with a broken plate, nor have I had it happen
>to me.  I'm really curious.
>
>Del

Thanks to Del and everyone who has been responding.  I sent all of your
posts to my student,Paul, and asked him to respond to the questions.  The
piano is not here but in his shop so I can't give accurate answers.  I also
asked him to take some pictures if he can scare up a digital camera.

A few people mentioned that Steinway has plates for these pianos.  I told
Paul to call them today and get the story on that.  Would you recommend
that Steinway and his Sons install it or is that something that any good
rebuilder should be able to do?  I think he would not want to send it to
the same rebuilder that did the last one.(!)  It is an older B, is it
difficult to retrofit a new plate in an old piano?

chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (740) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429