Pleyel 1852

luca pacha lpacha@club-internet.fr
Thu, 07 Sep 2000 22:21:33 +0200

Hello List !

 A french friend of mine bought recently (for nothing...)
an old grand Pleyel (1852). For personal
reasons, he would like to repair it. Of course, the age of this piano
can be a big difficulty...
Some contributors of the french-speaking list (technipiano@topica.com)
suggest me to ask here informations about this "bird".

The serial number is 20668. It has 82 keys and straight stringing.
All the keys have 2 (bass) or 3 strings.
Two strings are missing in the tenor section.
Trebble seemed to my ear (I'm not a professionnal) very very flat.
The action geometry is not the same as the one I can find
(for example) in Reblitz's book (Grand piano action page 52, 2nd edition).
Making a careful (but again I'm not a pro...) inspection, I couldn't
notice any broken cracked blocked or missing part (except for the 2 strings)...
Any curiosity about this piano ?
What should be, according to you, the first things to check  if it is realistic
to make this bird sing again ?

Thank you for your help.

Marc Pachebat
Antony (France)

Ps: I've been reading your messages for two weeks and I still
wonder how this list can be so active, quick and competent...just amazed...