A 440

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 22:52:44 -0400

Unless someone has a specific request for non-A440, then I tune to A440. I
have tuned MANY pianos where the previous tuner said he/she could/would not
raise the pitch to A440 "It's too old", "She won't take it", etc, etc. I
tell the owner that 90% of old pianos will go up to A440 without strings
breaking. 9% may lose a string or two. About 1% just will not go to A440 -
too much corrosion, strings non-elastic. They tell me to go for it. And I
do! On an older piano, I try to be careful to not raise bass and tenor
strings more than 25 cents (maximum) above pitch (overpull). I tend to be
more cautious on the high treble, often making an extra pass in the upper
regions and keeping within 10 - 15 cents overpull max. Usually works great.

I did a 1902 Krakeaur (sp?) upright this morning. Quite apparently original
strings. Great piano, real good shape - sounded good & no slop in
action/keys. Ranged from 40 cents flat @ A0 to 90 cents flat @ C8. I did the
bass and tenor with my SAT III overpull of 25% (actually about 15% for the
bass) in one pass. Did first pass on the treble with no overpull, then did a
second treble pass with appropriate overpull (after the first pass it ranged
from about 8 cents flat @ F5 to 30 cents flat @A8). Tune piano. No broken
strings.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service