Pitch Raise Sequence

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 14:37:26 EDT

Ron writes:

<<  If you SAT pitch raise from the bass to treble,
tuning unisons as you go, why would you have any overpull at all at 88,
since the rest of the piano should be all nicely compressed and at pitch
and that last unison shouldn't knock the adjacent notes down appreciably?
Doesn't compute, unless I'm not understanding how the overpull estimate is
stated.  >>

Greetings,
   Assume a 20 cent  flat piano, everywhere.  A SAT will have you pulling
things 5 cents sharp as you go,  actually increasing a little as your efforts
affect the strings in front of you.  So, let's say the final octave is 22
cents flat.  Adding 5 cents to the C88 doesn't represent much sharpening.
Musically, some tuners like the C to be far sharper than that anyway, and
from a pitch raise standpoint, the difference is neglible to your next pass.
I don't know of any commercially viable aural pitch raising techniques that
would provide for C88 to be closer than this to its final position.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
   (All this problem can be avoided by not raising that last note past
standard pitch.....but that means you don't want to raise the B7 either,
then what to do about the Bb7,  and pretty soon, we realize that there is no
where to begin and we CAN'T raise the pitch at all! (:)}}