Pitch Raise Sequence

Michel Lachance michel_lachance@hotmail.com
Sat, 09 Sep 2000 20:03:22 EDT

Terry,

The reasoning about starting at the top because there are usually more
decreases in pitch that in the bass has some relevancy, but it wouldn't work
effectively.

We shouldn't consider cents in the bass and in the treble as two sides of an
equation because they don't mean the same thing.  There are lots of tension
in the bass, less in the tenor section and even less in the treble.  It
means that if you raise for example the bass section by 20 cents, it will
have a higher drop effect on the rest of the piano than if you would raise
the treble by the same amount.

The idea of starting from A0 comes from the fact that you are better to
start from the strings have more drop effect on the rest of the piano and
finish by those that have less drop effect, all this in order to have a more
stable and a more predictable result.

It is certainly possible to pitch raise starting from C88 but, to have a
satifactory result, not only you would have to raise the treble by the same
amount anyway than if you would have started from A0, but you would have
also to calculate the amount of drift in the bass before doing anything in
order to establish the desired offset in the tenor and in the treble.

Well, that may be a good idea if you charge your tunings on an hourly basis.
  :-)

Michel Lachance, RPT