Selling Parts was No Subject

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 10:43:17 -0400

Diane wrote:
".....One day a young man phoned him and started
asking to buy two universal replacement stickers. The phone calls kept
coming in for advice on how to do this or that, but for some reason my
father did not turn him away as he normally would have done......So the
young man took my course for a year........I told him how
impressed I was with what he had done.  He said in a low voice, 'it's the
only thing I have ever done right in my entire life.'..........As for my
Dad's
former customer, the "hippie", he sent us three students for
our piano school, purchased two new pianos from us for his private high
school (sight unseen), introduced us to our current landlords, hired us
numerous times to work on pianos at two of his schools, was instrumental
in a Christmas rental of a grand for Seagate Technology (hard disk
manufacturer) where he was the head of manufacturing (and our landlord's
boss).
.............My Dad's kindness to that young man changed our lives forever."

Sounds convincing to me.....Everyone comes out a winner!

Someone else wrote:
"My policy is to never sell parts to non technicians in order for them to
work
on their own piano. Why? I am in business to make money, and this takes
money
away from me..... That does not sit well with me......I had a piano owner
cuss me
out for not selling the parts and he even said he would bad mouth me to
other
piano owners."

Seems to me this attitude only produces losses for everyone involved.

I enjoy the interaction with piano owners who want to take a stab at
servicing their piano. This is not a licensed profession. They have ever
right to service their own piano. I feel no threat from that they will take
money out of my pocket. The professional technician indeed does need to make
clear that they are not in the business of providing hours of free
consultation. I try and establish that by never bringing the part to them,
rather having them pick the part up at my shop during hours that I am there.
It's fun to have them spent 15 minutes touring your shop and explaining a
few things about how they can install their part, etc. A couple times, after
explaining what I am doing to this or that piano, they ask "can you do that
to my piano also?" (just a couple months ago a guy whose piano I tune - old
Chickering grand - bought several brass wippen flanges from me - after
seeing the job I did on the ivories of a rebuild in my shop, he asked me to
do his!) These customers end up being impressed with your business, tell
their friends, etc.

I have little doubt that one can refuse to sell any parts, etc. and maintain
a profitable business. There is a big demand for piano technicians. But is
this how we want to interact with our community? Have you ever wanted to fix
a squeak in your electric dryer and needed a little felt part? I did. Damn
thing squeaks louder now. Now I'm trying to decide whether to "fix" it
again, or call a pro and pay the $80 to $150 (or more?). I'm glad I had the
availability of the $1.50 felt part - and no animosity from the appliance
repair place I bought it from (the guy even spent a few minutes telling me
how to clean off the old glue, how to position the new piece and then glue
it in). I know who I will call in the future for parts OR service.

Oh, well. Enough (as I step down from my soapbox).

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com