A-440

Ken Gerler kenneth.gerler@prodigy.net
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 20:54:42 -0500

Pat,

I agree with Willem on this one.  I find many a piano that has been tuned by
a "tooner" that just "played" with the tuning pins as the customer has said
they weren't there very long OR it didn't sound a whole lot better when they
finished.

My philosophy if I have been called to service a piano is  --  after
checking bridges and overall condition of back and sound board to ribs,
bridges to soundboard is to leave the piano at A-440 if the piano is
structurally sound.  Anything else promotes bad ear training.

Anyone calling me for the first time without being referred by a previous
customer, gets a long spiel about time it will take for me to complete the
service.  There are many instruments that I service that may be in serious
need of hammer shaping, but if it is a starting student and the parents are
not prepared for the extra expense, I will at least make the piano playable,
i.e. decent regulation, action free and at A-440!

Ken Gerler