$50 tuning - a story

Wallace Scherer p003520b@pb.seflin.org
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 06:54:42 -0400 (EDT)

I saw a name on my caller ID last week, but no corresponding message on
the answering machine. Curious, I called the number and talked to a lady
who said she had called because she wanted someone to come tune her piano
"today". The person who did it had come at 5:00. I called about 7:00.

I decided to question her a bit because when she had answered, I heard the
piano playing in the background, and it didn't sound tuned.

She said the first person she had talked to didn't come out to her town,
but he recommended another tuner. He came out right away and only charged
her $50, and only was there "about 20 minutes". But she wasn't sure he
did a good job. I asked her if she could play something for me so I could
hear it again. Her daughter played a little bit - enough to confirm that
it really was NOT in tune.

I offered to send her my brochure and price list, to which she agreed.
She said she might have me next time. I made a note to call her before
Christmas. I had never heard of the tuner before - but then I've only
been her for a year.

Another local tuner I know once told me that if a customer will pay cash, he
will only charge $50. That way he can get around reporting it on his
income tax report. And he's a PTG member too! (Ethics?)

Wally Scherer
Lake Worth, FL, USA

Send e-mail (TEXT ONLY!) to: <WallyTS@iname.com> or <p003520b@pb.seflin.org>
If you are sending html documents, attachments, etc., please use:
<WTScherer@hotmail.com>   This is checked about once a week.
My personal web page: <http://www.geocities.com/vienna/2411>
My business web page: <http://www.angelfire.com/biz6/afinetune>