Too Much Crown?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 18:35:32 -0500

>I stared at it for a while trying to figure it out. Got a string and a
>straight edge out. Under the soundboard with the string measuring
>perpendicular to soundboard grain and parallel with ribs, there is about 1/4
>inch of crown in board (not really a crown, but rather a "V" with the apex
>under the treble bridge). Put the straight edge parallel with and adjacent
>to the treble bridge and WOW there is a whopping 11/16" of crown parallel to
>the soundboard grain and perpendicular to the ribs. If you sight down the
>treble bridge, it is fairly straight. It would appear that this is why the
>bridge end sprung up.

Ouch! Makes me itch just picturing it. Something must have really
aggravated it. You mentioned a Dampp Chaser rod. Was that singular, and
where was it (they) placed under the piano? I've never seen a soundboard do
that, and I'm wondering if it's uneven drying????????? I have, however been
industriously scraping out a crack for a shim, and had a brand new three
foot crack open up spontaneously about six inches away from being over
dried. Jumping at a mere popped string is nothing in comparison. You'll
probably quit growing altogether because of this one.

>I guess my question is if I bend the &$%#*@ out of the bridge, block the
>ribs up (hey, we can put even more crown in this puppy!) and glue the
>ribs/soundboard/bridge sandwich back together what might I have? Will it
>likely stay together? Will this do something really wierd to the instrument
>sound?

It will probably stay together ok, if you can GET it back together in the
first place with enough glue in the cracks and joints. The strings will
keep it under control. <G> Before trying though, I'd try to make sure the
drying is uniform by skirting the sides to the floor with whatever heat
source low on the floor will get you to around the temp/humidity you're
reading now. If it attacked you because of uneven drying, the bridge should
break, or the perimeter joint doesn't come loose, It will probably be
adequate. Well, I guess it will have to be, since you don't have a lot of
options at this point, but I don't think it will sound too weird. Think lucky.

>Before you pros tell me what needs to be done, I know (new board, bridges,
>etc.). That will not happen for about 10,000 reasons no one want to hear
>about. Either I will fix what is there, or I will have to tell the owner
>that it cannot be fixed (the owner is capable of understanding zero - I have
>tried in the past - she says "well, just do the best you can"). A large part
>of what is bugging me is that I really don't want to have my finger prints
>of this one, but I am in too deep now. :-(
>
>Terry Farrell

And will be again before you know it, one way or another. It sort of comes
with the territory. Good luck, and keep us posted. Hope we get to finally
offer congratulations instead of condolences.

Ron N