Strings for tropics

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 19:18:39 -0600

Hi Pat and Terry,

Yes I am referring to heat tape. I have one very unstable Yamaha G3 that
already has a full compliment of drier bars (50 belly, 38 tail, 38 bass
beam). The swing in pitch is still about 16 cents at A4 on a seasonal
basis, and of course much more than that in the tenor.  The owner and I
have decided to try to find a suitable heat tape -- one that is low enough
wattage per foot to be plugged into the DC controller. I feel the
controller will prevent the sort of damage you mention. My plan is not to
put it on the inside of the rim but about 1/2 foot from the rim.

At 05:48 PM 09/11/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>What kind of heat tape are you referring to? The kind you put on a water
>pipe (up north) to keep it from feezing? Where would you put that? Under
>soundboard on rim? Never heard of doing such a thing. Might it not fry the
>rim/soundboard glue joint?
>
>Terry Farrell
>Piano Tuning & Service
>Tampa, Florida