pianos in freezing temps.

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 22:42:52 -0500

I service a piano that is in an unheated church except on Sundays, and not
every Sunday if the snow is flying thick and fast enough.  Outside it can be
20 below so inside it could go to 10 below.  This is in South Dakota.  For
sure 10 above to 65 in 4 hours happens a few times each winter.    It is
playable and serviceable.  I can't tell how much the strings are affected
because they appear original in a 1910 AB Chase Grand.   They are a little
"rusty" either from hot humid summer days or changes in the winter because
of the heating and cooling after the congregation has contributed to the
humidity.  It is quite possible that piano has been there since 1910.
    Of course it is better not to have the piano in such an extreme
environment but if it happens the effects seem cumulative rather than sudden
and or drastic in my experience.  ---ric

> > > A client asked why a piano shouldnt be in a very cold space, i.e.
Winter
> in
> > > northern N.E. in an unheated home. Reaction to extreme humidity swings
> is
> > > well known, but what actually happens to a piano @10 degrees  F. for
> example
> > > when brought to 70 degrees within a few hours. Thanks ,Tom Driscoll
RPT