Soundboard Color

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 08:45:43 -0400

Most soundboards I cut into are very light colored. The soundboard in the
1890 Estey grand (subject of my last post) is very dark (surface and
throughout), kinda like a golden brown, much like maybe cherry heartwood. I
took a class from someone (???who was it???) in KC about evaluating old
soundboards. One thing he said was that if the soundboard is dark, it is
shot. Does anyone know anything about such criteria? Anyone with experience
one way or another? Please educate me. The wood otherwise seems lovely. I
just figured it was beautiful spruce heartwood from huge spruce trees that
are no longer available.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida