Too Much Crown?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:49:54 -0500

>Ron, I'm suprised you didn't catch my impossible soundboard configuration: I
>had posted: "there is about 1/4 (crown) parallel with ribs, (and) 11/16" of
>crown.....perpendicular to the ribs." That would require the rim/belly bar
>to be a bit more than a 1/4" deviant from a plane.

Nah, I didn't question the measurement, but I did ask if you were sure the
board was dried out uniformly. I don't think you said which rib you
measured the 1/4" crown at, and you didn't give any crown measurements for
the rest of the board, so I couldn't really tell what you had anyway -
hence the question. Besides, I don't know one way or the other if half the
piano rims out there in Music Land aren't that far off, and I'm not all
that sure it would make that much difference anyway. By the way, how IS the
crown in the killer octave?

> I know who is going to catch
>that one. It'll be Ron. And he will cut me up into little pieces!"

Well, I didn't, so it looks like you wasted all that fretting for nothing.
Fooled you. Sorry about that, I didn't mean to let you down. I know it's
hard on a guy to have a good fret all worked up and nothing to spend it on.

>Whew, I feel better now.

Good!

>So now my only wierd thing with it is bending the
>bridge the 1/4". I did try it yesterday, just to see if I could close the
>gap. Closes fine (and it was easy to do quickly with my handy go bar
>system!).
>
>Terry Farrell

I'd go with Brian's suggestion and glue and screw it down. I'd just use
Titebond and screws with soundboard buttons between ribs and no other
clamping methods.

Ron N