..can you make it lighter?

Wed, 13 Sep 2000 10:03:49 +0200

I am going to suggest that you take a quick look at the action spread before
you get into anything else. First diagnose..then cure.. grin.

That being said... your customer will simply have to understand that any
lighter touch solution is going to require her to reach into her pocket book a
bit.... sheesh.... grin

I did a lot of store prep work on Samick grands earlier on in the 90's and
this included a good deal of action regulating each time. One thing I found
was that often as not I couldnt get the "touch" I was after and I could never
figure out why. I suspect, looking back, that had I understood more then basic
regulation at the time I would have started picking apart the geometry
question way back then.

Anyways... draw a straight edge from the knuckle core perpendicular to the
hammer shank down towards the center pin of the jack flange when the hammer is
at rest. If the center pin is forward (key front side) of this straight edge,
then loosen the whippen rail and move it back just a tad ( as in max 1 mm) .
Make sure you dont loosen the whippen rail so much that you loose track of
where it was to begin with. Mark that position if you feel squeemish about it.
Recheck the perpendicular and repeat as necessary.

Or use Newtons suggestion to my last Action geometry post, and shim out a few
sample whippens to check spread. When you find the right spot, then most the
rail the same amount as the shims.

Once done with this (say about 10 minutes work) you need to run through a
quick but good rough regulation, and then one more time through to make it
nice..

Point is, if the spread IS narrow, then all the dinking around with other
things aint really going to solve your problem. So.. at least check to see if
this is the case before you start any other solution.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.