pianotech-digest V2000 #774

Thu, 14 Sep 2000 22:07:11 +0200

toto@fovea.pndr.upenn.edu wrote:

> On the topic of adjusting the touch weight:
>
> I wish to INCREASE the touch weight on an upright.  I slicked things
> up real nice, maybe a bit too much.  The feel of the keys is extremely
> light across the whole keyboard.  This is a player, so the keys are
> balanced so that they depress when the sticker is lifted by the
> pneumatic.
>
> What to do (with getting into major work) ?

Perhaps... what kinda player... old style or electronic ?? Personally, I
wouldnt get into weighting the keys. You might try makeing sure the dampers
arent coming into play late, or that the damper return springs are too
light. If you have anything to go on with these too that might do the
trick. Otherwise things get quickly time consuming. One thing I see poping
up lately is adding a weebit of lead to the hammer butt , sorta like
Stanwood recommends with grand hammers. But then that takes a bit of time.

Depends a bit on what kinda player it is really as to what you can get away
with. If its one of the modern electronic types you can pretty much treat
it like a regular piano, but then you probably have to recalibrate the
player action for the heavier touch. If its an oldie... well I am no
learned soul on those... grin.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.