Tuning for Tomatoes

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 01:36:39 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/00 9:00:38 PM Central Daylight Time,
LHSBAND440@AOL.COM writes:

<< Those of you
 who tune for a living, I understand that this is probably something that you
 can't do.  I kept the tomatoes but the check I put in an envelope and sent
it
 back with a letter saying that they were the winners of the free monthly
 tuning (which no such thing exists).  Am I richer for the evening? .......
 More than I have felt in a long time.

This is a wonderful example of how we should all live out lives.

I tune for a living, but there have been several instances iwhen the money
became secondary. It does the heart good to be benevolent once in a while.

One such instance was a very small black church in the north part of town.
The minister of music was an elderly gentleman, who spoke with such kindness
in his heart, you would think he had absolutely no cares, (although I knew
better). The spinet they had was all they had for music. There were always a
couple of broken strings, etc. The church was so poor they didn't even have a
lock on the front door. After the first session, for some reason, I felt a
need to take that little church under my wing. So every couple of months I
would just drop by during the day, walk in the front door, and tune and
repair this little spinet.

They eventually got some more members, and bought a better used piano from
me. They also got a better lock on the front door. So now I can only go there
when they call me. I do change them now, but I do lots more than what I get
paid for.

Willem