string tying

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:04:17 -0700

Howard, it seems to me that the tension of the whole string
would be the same, automatically. The mass of the whole string
will determine what the tension of a given pitch will be.
Therefore, using a lower-diameter tie-on will only affect
the tension by a small percentage, and it would affect the
thicker part, too, by the same amount.

Personally, I just use the same diameter for tie-ons. Why go
larger or smaller? If the broken string has a diameter in between
standard sizes, I don't think that the small difference of
going up or down 1/4 size, or whatever, would be enough to
matter.

Susan