string tieing

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 15:48:01 -0500

>If 2 strings of differing widths were brought up to the same pitch, wouldn't
>the thinner one reach the pitch with less tension?????? Therefore, I reason
>that a thinner add-on is less likely to break than a thicker piece. Please
>explain if this reasoning is wrong.

>Howard S. Rosen, RPT

You don't know, or care, what the pitch of the newly replaced wire section
is when the wire in the speaking length is at pitch, do you? Come on, admit
it. It just has to hold the tension required to get the speaking length to
pitch, hence the desire that it be at least the same size as the original.
One size bigger is just insurance against the horrendous snaggling some
folks perpetrate on a new piece of wire tieing a splice.

Ron N