Tone quality

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 22:55:01 -0500

>Yeah I agree that's what probably happened here.  But what I was trying to
>determine was the effect that diameter might have in tone brightness.  I
>guess I should read some more on scale design.  Maybe I'm listening too
>hard.
>
>Mitch Ruth

Bigger wrap will increase tension, which will increase power (or volume, or
pain, or whatever). Increased tension will necessitate a larger core wire
to handle the increased tension, which will raise inharmonicity. Similarly,
you can get more volume with a smaller wrap diameter and core by building
more flexibility into the soundboard, yielding more fundamental, lower
inharmonicity, and a clearer more defined sound that could probably qualify
as brighter. There's tons I haven't yet learned about scaling, so this
isn't all that definitive. In the case of your mismatched unison though,
there are other factors involved than overall diameter.

Ron N