Butterfly

VOCE88@AOL.COM VOCE88@AOL.COM
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 07:45:18 EDT

In a message dated 9/15/2000 10:54:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tuner@mediaone.net writes:

> I got a call today to tune a butterfly piano. The woman
>  said the lid opens like a butterfly.
>
>  Can someone please shed some light on this for me before
>  I go over there and make a fool out of myself not being
>  familiar with this beast (insect?)
>
>  Thanks.

Sure, Martin.

Wurlitzer made several models of very small, decorator grands that were
symmetrical (tail of the piano in the middle, not off to the left) and opened
with a hinge down the middle of the lid so "half lids" opened on either side,
like a butterfly, get it?

Not a great piano. I am told that several of the symmetrical grands that were
made by Mason & Hamlin, Sohmer, and Knabe opened like this as well, but I
have never seen any of them with this design.

Hope this is worth what you are paying,

Richard Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila.,Pa.