Not Enough Scientific Analysis (somewhat non-technical)

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 09:44:09 -0700

Are we catching up on old stuff or what?

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Rob Kiddell
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2000 7:53 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Not Enough Scientific Analysis (somewhat non-technical)

Mr. Simon,

Finally the source of your rant slides into focus.

You are less concerned about the effects of fabric softener on
hammers than you are about the lack of scientific analysis on any
piano technical procedures.

If a procedure is documented enough, can it slowly be accepted as
a standard in the piano technical field?

In August 1997, I wrote an article for the Journal about bridle strap
function that contained a glaring error, that was immediately seized
upon by Jim Ellis, RPT in a letter in the following issue. Not
content with the letter, Jim conducted an experiment which he
published in the December '97 Journal that conclusively proved his
point. It was also written in classic scientific experimental format:
Introduction, Historical Background, Experimental Data,
Conclusion and References. The results were fascinating and a
clear example of 'gold medal' writing.

My point: If you are greatly agitated by the lack of experimental
data regarding fabric softener and hammers, (and by the volume
and tone of your posts, I assume this is a matter that weighs upon
you), there are at least 5 different types of hammers and an entire
laundry aisle of fabric softeners, we eagerly await your publication.

Also, why are you concerned with extreme hammer voicing
methods on 90 year old pianos that will never have their hammers
changed? I assume the owners don't have the means to replace a
set of hammers, or these hammers are of such a precious variety
that they can never be sullied with undocumented voicing
techniques.

Eagerly awaiting your response,

Rob Kiddell RPT
Atonal Piano Service