string tieing

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 17:04:58 +0100

In article <004201c01f39$70151280$80c524cf@gate.net>, Howard S. Rosen
<hsrosen@gate.net> writes

>If 2 strings of differing widths were brought up to the same pitch, wouldn't
>the thinner one reach the pitch with less tension?????? Therefore, I reason
>that a thinner add-on is less likely to break than a thicker piece. Please
>explain if this reasoning is wrong.

No Because the thinner string you are using is in the dead area so pitch
is not relative to that part of the string, only the speaking length
which is the same wire that was in place,  so you should use the same or
thinker wire if tying is the way you have to go.

Barrie,

--
Barrie Heaton               Ý The U.K. Piano Page ©
http://www.a440.co.uk       Ý http://www.uk-piano.org/