Glenn Gould's piano

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 14:42:57 -0400

How 'bout Glenn's almost-piano a "Bluthendorfer", i.e. an 1896 Bluthner that
was rebuild during World War II in the Bosendorfer factory in Vienna. He
tried to buy it in 1959 off an acquaintance, Peter Ostwald, who would not
sell it to Gould. I found this in a book by Ostwald "Glenn Gould - The
Ecstasy and Tragedy of Genius" along with the following few quotes.

"In an emergency, when a piano he was using was truly inadequate or
unresponsive, he would get through a concert.....by conjuring up memories of
playing be beloved old Chickering and vicariously enjoying the pleasant
tactile sensations in his hands".

After playing one Steinway he apparently did not like, he "wrote in 1956 to
Winston Fitzgerald of the Concert and Artist department, Steinway & Sons in
New York: 'An explicit summary of my complaint [about Steinway CD 90] can
scarcely fail to do justice to the incredible negligence on the part of your
firm, of which I have been victim since our first dealings 18 months ago.
...I am now totally unable and unwilling to play for even the briefest
period on this instrument'".

It says Gould's favorite instrument was Steinway Grand CD 318. "It was had
been his preferred instrument in his early career in Toronto, and he
continued to favor it for most of the recordings he made in New York until
1971, when CD 318 was severely damaged while being transported to Toronto".
"....at the end of his life he switched to Yamaha".

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com