strings 'n stuph

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 17:03:32 -0400

> Perhaps it's a consequence of being crazy, but I don't understand.

Ron, craziness is not to be understood, just enjoyed.

I have a bit of a bone ot pick.  If I understand all the
stuph, you have been speaking of an iron wrapped string,
no?  I thought you were speaking of a bare steel wire
unison.

If the string was iron wound it may have been used to solve
a missing copper wire size, or as you say, a howler problem.

Iron was used because copper was not available during WW I
and II and some people liked the generally softer or gentler
tone quality of an iron wound.

This iron wrap was very soft wire, like bailing wire.  Steel
would be impossible to wrap around a steel core because of
it's stiffness.

(whew).

		Newton