Edge & corner damage

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:52:55 -0100

Hi again,

> break-off blade?

Break-away blade - something like that. They fit in plastic razor
knives, the kind you can break off a dull tip to expose a new one.
Sturdier than single edge razors, they're handy, cheap and customizable.

> hammer veneering

Hammering is a method for applying veneer without clamps; the 'hammer'
squeezes and distributes un-set glue underneath the veneer. I think this
or vacuum clamps are the only ways to veneer.

> Do you have a suggested reference text for the ABCs of veneering & veneer
> repairs?

A couple old Fine Woodworking articles cover hammer veneering, and which
may be in one of their reprint books. I have Villiard's "A Manual of
Veneering," but his approach is quite opposite to mine.

I've read many places that Rosewood is difficult to make adhere, though
I've never had worse problems than with other species, Rosewood I've
pulled off old panels has been stuck better than any other kind. One
person suggested the original glue might be fish glue.

Clark