yamaha butts

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:59:04 -0700

Hi Tom,
I'm just getting ready to do one of these such actions on Wednesday.  The U3
in question is a grey market Yamaha.  I've never encountered this problem on
American-bound uprights.  I believe, and judging from past discussions, that
replacing all of the flanges is the most efficient/economical way to
proceed.  Since they are readily available, why bother with tiny pieces of
cord?  Others on the List have become rather proficient and even have jigs
set up to do the string replacing, but the first time is always the slowest
and I prefer not taking the time to learn on a customer's piano.

Good luck with yours.
Jeannie

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Assistant Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jgrassi@silverlink.net

  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Tom Driscoll
  Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2000 5:51 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: yamaha butts

  Fellow Techs, In the past month I've had 2 Yamaha studios, Late 70,s With
deteriorated spring cords( excuse the nomenclature) >Is this material
something other than silk?> Its light brown in color and will crumble to the
touch.Also  your opinions on wheather to replace the whole set of butts or
to replace this material (with silk)  on the existing butts (action centers
good on both pianos)I guess this is a cost vs labor  question. Thanks for
any responses  < Tom Driscoll>