mic strings first

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 21:15:51 -0500

Ric,

I checked Travis' _A Guide to Restringing,_ and found 3 Knabe 5' 1" scales.
There is a scale "50," which has 4 unisons of # 13, 4 unisons of # 13.5, and
4 unisons of # 14. There is a scale "58," which has 10 unisons of # 13.5,
and 6 of # 14. There is also a 5' 1", #118444, which has 10 unisons of #
13.5 and 6 unisons of # 14.

Maybe this will help.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Rickeys88@AOL.COM
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2000 8:20 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: mic strings first

Hello List,

I de-strung a Knabe 5'1" "grand" last weekend but I did so in haste.  I
assumed too much when I saw string gauge markings on the plate.   Now that
the strings are long gone and I can't mic them, I've got a problem.   I'm
looking at the tuning pin holes for note #88 and there is no size mark.
Size14  starts at 9 notes left of the treble end.  I assume I'm  missing the
size mark for that end group of 8.  Or is it possible that its marked
starting from the left and the last group of 9 notes would be size 14 ?   If
I had to go it alone I would guess that the end 4 notes would be size 13
then
the next 4 to the left would be 13.5 and then on to 14.

Thanks in advance.

Ric Forcier
NJ