mic strings first

Carl W. Meyer cmpiano@earthlink.net
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 20:3:54 -0700

Ric:  I'm rebuilding a Steinway K52 upright.  I miced the strings as I
removed them and plotted the scale on PSCALE.  I then plotted the scale
printed on the plate.  They weren't the same.  I don't think it was
restrung.  Then I rescaled to my liking and got a third plot.  I gave it my
usual modification at the bass break and used wound bichords instead of
plain trichords for the first few notes.  The tension/inharmonicity curve
improved a lot.

A small grand as you describe could benefit from a rescaling.  I'd never
replace even a set of bass strings without running the scale thru the
computer.  I'd like to know what it looks like.  Assuming the manufacturer
knew what he was doing is a mistake.  As Del Fandrich says "convential
wisdom is an idiot".  E-mail me privately or call me at 408/984-0482 with
your address and I'll mail you the printouts of the three scales.  This
would be for your information regarding Pscale.

Regards

Carl Meyer

If
> I had to go it alone I would guess that the end 4 notes would be size 13
then
> the next 4 to the left would be 13.5 and then on to 14.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ric Forcier
> NJ

--- Carl W. Meyer, Santa Clara, Ca.