Pinblock Repair/Drill Press

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 08:55:07 -0400

Hi List. I have just completed shimming soundboard & doing bridge repairs
(major) to a square grand I am restoring. Next task is the pinblock. It had
square-headed tapered pins. There were no plate bushings.

I am looking for suggestions for returning the pinblock to good
serviceability. Left unguided, the existing pinblock will be repaired. My
intention is to dilignite-plug the block and drill for new pins (the block
appears to be in relatively good shape). Use 2/0 with no bushings?

Also, this is the first pinblock I will have drilled while in the
instrument. My current drill press (ShopSmith) will not reach over the
piano. What kind of drill press setups has worked for any of you for this
task?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida