grey market pianos

Carol Beigel carolrpt@hotmail.com
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:40:24 EDT

The biggest problem I have seen with Yamaha Grey Market pianos is due to
wood shrinkage during the heating season.  Reminds me of a popsicle stick -
it is straight the moment you eat the popsicle and crooked and warped a week
later if your kid left it on the lawn!  The wood in ALL parts of the piano
simple changes dimensions - constantly.  The sticking keys in the actions
are intermittent.  The soundboards flatten out during the hearing season
producing no sustainable tone in the treble.  I have even seen cases where
the finish starts to fall off the cabinets.  Around here, people buy them
because "they like the tone" and "they cost half of what the same model
costs in the store" from the Yamaha dealer.

I personally do not understand why anyone would spend $3K on a
twenty-something hard-used piano when they could buy a new one starting at
$3.7K. I know people who have bought Mercedes Benz cars directly from
Germany (to save money), and by the time they had the catalytic converter
work and other environmental controls installed to pass inspections, they
had spent more money and been through more hassles than if they had simply
gone to a dealer in their neighborhood.  And the worst part of it was the
cars did not work as well - always something!  I have yet to see a grey
market piano that was truly a good value.

As for grey market Disklaviers - forget it!  Because they are not UL
approved, Yamaha of America cannot supply parts.  THe product liability
would be enormous if that thing caught fire!  I certainly do not know enough
Japanese to order parts and manual directly from Japan.

Put yourself in Yamaha's shoes.  THey make very precise instruments for
different climates, and use the best design of components for each climate.
They have worked for over 100 years establishing a brand name that means
"quality" around the world, but have no control over the secondary market
People who buy these grey market intstruments will become very unhappy and
badmouth the brand.

I guess global economies are just very tricky things these days.

Carol Beigel
Greenbelt, Maryland