"Visiting" Tuners - cont'd

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 17:54:41 EDT

In a message dated 9/19/00 4:37:24 PM Central Daylight Time, Conrad writes:

<< Remember, you can pronounce the names of the towns correctly and without
an
 accent.
 ;-}

 Conrad >>

Since Ron lives in the Northern part of my state and I know him, I read this
thread just after coming back from Louisiana, where I am a regular "visitor".
 I'm sure that some of the locals grumble about me being down there too but
do you think I care?  All I have is my name in the phone book.  One job leads
to another.  I don't have to take business from anyone else, I just mind my
own.   Just as Conrad suggests, I fit right in by adopting the local culture
as my own, charge the going rate (and then some) and do what I usually do
when I tune and service a piano.

There have been any number of people that were in business here in Madison
when I started in 1978 who have quit or moved away, and many who have come
and gone since.  They all complained that I cut into "their" business, so
much so that they just could not compete.  But I am still here and my
customer base in Louisiana continues to grow too.

All I would suggest to those who feel threatened by competition is to either
learn to do what your competition does better than you do or find another
line of work or another area to work in.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin