Pinblock Repair/Drill Press

Carol Beigel carolrpt@hotmail.com
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 02:59:31 EDT

Don may have a better idea (easier) to use water thin CA glue.  Back when we
used epoxy, nobody was using CA.  If you tried CA first, and it didn't work,
you can always resort to epoxy.  At least that way you wouldn't have to
remove any tuning pins.

To use epoxy, choose the slower drying stuff, like 20-ton instead of
5-minute.  Make a test first before using it on the piano just to make sure
the epoxy is not too old.  Dip the tuning pin in it and pound it into the
pinblock (under no load) and let it dry.  A day or so later, turn the pin to
break the seal.  Try a couple of tuning pins while you are working on the
bridge.  BTW, you should clean and ream the tuning pin holes first to get to
some fresh wood fibers instead of "shellac".

To use plugs, you definitely must use epoxy instead of titebond, to glue
them into the pinblock.  I still say that the wood, grain, etc. varies
enough that the plug material and the pinblock material loose moisture at
different rates and puts a lot of torque on the glue joint.

Make a few tests on an old piece of pinblock (or a pine two by four) using
the CA, epoxy and a plug or two, and see what you like best.

Carol Beigel