Pinblock Repair/Drill Press

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 22:21:07 -0500

Hi Terry,
Regarding drilling- you can drill the pinblocke with a good quality electric
hand drill. Attach a bubble level to the drill in such a manner that the
bubble is centered when the bit is at the proper angle to the block. I have
done serveral this way and had very good success. Use a supply of compressed
air on the drill bit to cool it and clear chips. As with all new techniques,
practice on a scrap piece of pinblock material first.
Good luck,
Dale
Dale Probst, RPT
Member, TEAM20001
PTG Annual Convention
Reno, NV --July 11-15, 2000
email: wardprobst@cst.net
(940)691-3682 voice
(940) 691-6843 fax
TEAM2001 website: http://www.equaltemperament.com/PTG/

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Farrell
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2000 6:45 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Pinblock Repair/Drill Press

Thanks Carol. Interesting about epoxy. With West System epoxy, I would be
afraid that you would never "break the seal", but rather break the tuning
pin before you turn it. In this particular application, the plate is out of
the piano, and obviously also are the tuning pins. I will not be using
delignite. Webb Philips has regular 5-ply maple plugs that I will epoxy in
place with semi-thickened (with their hi-density adhesive filler) West
System epoxy. Thanks for your thoughts!  :-)

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com