Nice Chord

Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:52:21 +0200

Hi folks.. Dinking around the other day I noticed a nice sounding chord that
resulted from tuning completely "wrong"...grin. I had started my usual A3-A4
temperament and got as far as F# and this was really flat to begin with. So flat
that the A-F# 6th was beating at about 2 beats per second. Playing A-D-F#-A(4)
yeilded then a "D Major" that was really pretty to listen to indeed.

If you are one of the many many techs who are out of hand "anti HT" and yet have
never really heard a piano tuned differently then the basic ET, you might want to
try and duplicate this chord as a very simple experiment. It wont cost you hardly
any time to accomplish, and you probably will find the experience pleasing.

Doing this kind of thing makes it very easy indeed to understand the
"attractiveness" that non ET temperaments have. Its also very easy to see just
how much we have given up in the adoption of ET all for the sake of not having to
retune for certain key signatures.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.