Dopey Tuning

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 07:04:01 -0400

Well, last night I tuned my first (for sure) pin block doped piano. 1926
Cable upright - much better than average condition - grandmother bought it
new. Bass restrung about 15 years ago. The tuning pin collars were black,
and some dark tarry-looking goop was on plate in tuning pin area (likely
doped at time of bass restring). And EVERY pin was REAL MUSHY! A bit hard to
tune - seemed like you needed a new hammer technique. It felt like someone
put a thin collar of neoprene around each tuning pin. Torque was typically
pretty low, likely ranged from 20 to 50 inch-pounds (estimate). It just felt
like notes were going to start creeping flat as I was driving home from the
job. Is this a problem with doped pinblocks - creeping flat in short periods
of time?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida