Dopey Tuning

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 07:50:11 -0400

Friends,

I am still a little stymied on using CA on pinblocks.  (Aren't we good at
pounding this subject to death?!)  I only recently started doing this and have
done maybe three or four so far.

I heard someone in a convention mini-technical say you only need three or four
drops; I think he said four.  So I applied enough so I could see it wick around
the entire pin.  That used about 1/3 bottle and wasn't too successful.

I also used an entire 2-oz. bottle on an old upright.  I just kept going over
the pins until the bottle was empty.  That covered all the pins twice and most
of them three times.  When I went back to tune the piano a couple weeks later
they were so tight they felt like they would twist off!

So I know my experience is limited, but it makes me wonder if two or three
bottles really do any more good than one.  Is it too much of a good thing?  I do
feel that several drops aren't enough, unless the pins weren't all that loose to
begin with.  Comments?

Regards, Clyde