Hex Roslau wire?

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:06:38 -0500

When I order bass strings they always have plain core wire.  I've only seen
hex core on Universal strings and I've never seen hex plain wire for pianos
w/out copper wrap.

So you are saying you think it would cut the hammer quicker and sound poor?
Thanks for the info.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter
lafargue@iamerica.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Brian Lawson
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2000 10:33 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Hex Roslau wire?

Hi Lance, a question, when you order sets of bass strings do they come with
plain wire cores? just asking as all strings made here are made with roslau
hex core. Admitidly when in the shop and replacing a coil of wire from the
stock cupboard there is nothing on the roslau packets we have, to say
which is which.

As to your other question, I've seen it done, in the worst possible way, two
different sections of gauge where hex wire was used in the tennor, but the
sort of thing to expect from the dealer here which did it. Piano was so poor
so as not to make a big difference on its overall sound but, wear on
hammers....!

Maybe your supplier was also unaware of the contents without opening the
packet.

Brian Lawson, RPT
Johannesburg, South Africa