Start questioning yourself

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT agilreath@mindspring.com
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 23:16:00 -0400

RPT - Dale Probst, RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2000 11:10 PM
To: Pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Start questioning yourself

Start questioning yourself

In the Sept. 18, 2000 issue of the St. Louis Post Dispatch Business section
is an article entitled, "Are you an excellent employee?" written by Dale
Dauten, a businessman and author of a book called "The Gifted Boss". The
article deals with complacency in the work place, or "what do you do better
now than six months ago?" Mr. Richard Gooding, VP of global strategy for
Avnet, said this to Mr. Dauten. "One of the biggest problems in corporate
America is creeping complacency. As soon as one task is mastered, you loose
the intensity. We take for granted that we know how to do every day tasks,
with the excuse, 'Oh, I know how to do this, I've done it a hundred times. I
can wing it'. That's when you start skimping on preparation, and stop double
checking your facts". Mr. Gooding adds, "The trouble with experience is that
you start to think you're good, and that's when you relax".

A learning curve should be an elongated S, eventually flattening out as it
reaches the point of mastery. Unfortunately, in the real world, what happens
is that most people reach a certain level of competency, and then actually
falls backwards, into negative learning when workers start to figure out how
to avoid work. So the danger isn't just learning, it's anti-learning. And
that leads to the Complacency Paradox: "The day you no longer need to ask
others how to do your job is the day you must start questioning yourself".

Have you been questioning yourself? Are you ready to give yourself the
answers to every problem you encounter?  Learning is a never ending process.
When is the last time you attended a seminar, institute or even a chapter
tech session? Do you read the Journal every month? Surfing the net, and
participating in Pianotech is certainly better than not doing anything. But
are you doing enough to better yourself? Are you better now than six months
ago?

You know the answer. You know what needs to be done. There are 9 more
seminars scheduled in the next year, culminating with a Convention and
Institute in Reno. Are you going to attend any of them? Do you have all the
answers?

Willem