False Beats

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 01:21:25 -0500

> >  do you get nice clean sides, or are they kinda choppy? Any
> >problems with this (actually I would think a bit rough surface will give
> >better glue joint!)?
> >

> I'm no wood & glue technology authority -- but R. Bruce Hoadley is,
> and he slapped that myth down in his class in Providence a couple
> years ago. Eminent techs in the audience responded "but the master
> craftsman in the factory in Germany TOLD me the surfaces needed to be
> roughened!!" Shall we worship tradition or utilize scientific
> knowledge?
>
> Patrick

Well show us his scientific evidence so we can make up our own minds.
In the tradition of hot glue, some surfaces are roughened.  In expereince
with plastic key tops the gluing surface is best roughed.   We glue a lot
more than wood with a lot of diff glues.   The hammer shank must be scored
to allow glue to ooz out.  Scientific knowledge can be "worshiped" also to
the detriment of common sense and tried and true experience, ie
adition.   ---ric