PinBlock Drill Press

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 18:31:39 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Newton Hunt" <nhunt@jagat.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2000 11:44 AM
Subject: Re: PinBlock Drill Press

> First don't cut the pipe, you can lower the head all the way
> down to the base.

I'll take the belt cover off mine and see if it will. If not, I don't mind
cutting it.

> If you decide to plug the block drill every other hole, plug
> those then plug the second half, this will prevent
> overlapping one hole into another until one is plugged.

Yes, I went to Webb's class on doing this a while back. That is exactly how
he suggested doing it. It might even require three passes if some holes are
real closely spaced.

What method do you use to level off any excess plug standing proud? Chisel
(that's what I usually use on screw bungs)? Belt sander?

> Don't hurry this job, use epoxy to secure the plugs, level
> the first set of plugs then the second set of plugs.  You
> can cut plugs from new pinblock stock or get the dalignit
> plugs from Webb Philips.

He also sells plugs cut from 5-ply pinblock material - which is what I
ordered from him.

> Second, consider a longer bit, they do
> come as long as 12" but that may be too long.
> The high spiral longer bits can be purchased from him or
> from Geneva Imports or do a search for longer bits on the
> nets.

Great! That is all I need. If I can get an 8" long pinblock drill bit of
appropriate diameter, I will be all set. I will call Webb/Geneva Monday
morning. This was the info I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.

> Newton

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida