prepping glue joints

Sun, 24 Sep 2000 08:44:20 -0400

On Sun, 24 Sep 2000 01:27:07 -0500 "Richard Moody"
<remoody@midstatesd.net> writes:
> ... I was taught to score some surfaces I would like to know if that
practice
> is now outdated, or applicable only to  newer   glues.  ---ric

Hi Ric -

You can be quite certain that Hoadley is a good authority of wood.  His
books and his numerous contributions to Fine Woodworking (the magazine)
have convinced me.

I believe you need to distinguish between porous and non-porous materials
when using the "score surface first" method.  Scoring a clean wood
(porous) surface when using yellow, white, or hide glue would be very
counterproductive in my view.  You are reducing the surface area that
will make contact between the two pieces.  Most important, of course, is
that they are clean, and mate well.

Gluing non-porous materials (metal, glass, plastic, ceramic, etc)
requires different glues and preparations.  I would think scoring would
be appropriate in many instances, depending on the material and the glue
used.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com